Travel Info 2022-2023 (Tentative)
UpdatedMonday April 11, 2022 byThe Registrar.
Travel Basketball is...
The township enters four teams into various leagues comprised of teams largely from Morris & Sussex counties. The team levels are listed below. Please note we do not allow players to “play up” from their grade level unless there is no team fielded at their level and they can compete safely at that higher level:
- 8th graders
- 7th graders
- 6th graders
- 5th graders
Travel Tryout Dates are TBD (but typically occur the 1st or 2nd week in October)
They are preceded by 2 weeks of open gyms to allow the girls to get ready for the tryout.
When travel tryouts are scheduled, an email blast will be sent to all in the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th graders. The tryouts are observed by a group of coaches and independent evaluators who are not familiar with the players trying out. Most, if not all, of the observers have played high school and/or college basketball and are familiar with the level of elementary/middle school basketball play. They will rate the players and advise the travel director & coach of the travel teams of their ratings. The travel director and coaches of each travel team will take these ratings under advisement when picking the team. Decisions to cut or add players are made by the coaches of that specific team, often based on past play, tryout information and skill position needs. Often a player ranked higher in tryouts is passed over because the lower ranked player plays in a needed skill position. Typically, a team is made up of 10 players but can be more or less depending upon number of players trying out and the approach of the designated coach.
Due to the high level of competition in the league, regular practices are required to prepare the teams. Generally, each travel team will practice 3 times per week (2 weeknights and Saturday). In addition, scrimmages versus other towns may be scheduled by the coach. Travel teams generally play 1 to 2 games per week with the season beginning in December, the League playoff and finals occur in mid-March. Games during the week can begin as early as 6:15 P.M. or as late as 7:45 P.M. Typically the earlier game times are reserved for the younger teams. Saturday games are played based on gym availability. All practices and home games are played at Copeland Middle School.
Parents are responsible for transportation to and from all games as well as practices, scrimmages and tournaments. For games, players are typically required to report to the game site 30 minutes prior to game-time.
Fees assessed to each player who plays in the travel program are higher than those for the in-house program to help defray the costs related to the travel teams. The program provides uniform shorts for the travel teams. Players will be required to purchase uniform shirts (personalized with name and number – they keep the shirts), and shooting shirts to be worn during game warm-ups and travel bags if they want them.
Most of the leagues we participate in do not have specific rules regarding playing time. They typically mirror high school rules for playing time and therefore no minimum amount of time is required. Substitution of players is determined by coaches based upon strength of opponent, style of play, and player skill level.
The following volunteers are the Head Coaches of the Rockaway Township Girls Travel Teams.
**PLEASE NOTE: All players trying out for the Travel Division must be registered in the program. Registration is done via our website http://www.rtgirlshoops.org
More Program Info...
- We are on Facebook: Be sure to join our Facebook Group to stay up to date instantly on any date and/or time changes and to receive info throughout the season.
- Code of Conduct Forms: Every player, parent and coach must sign this form. Please hand it in at your first practice. Players will not be allowed to participate in games without it. Click on the Link Below to print the form.
- Emergency Medical Release Forms: Please complete the Emergency Medical Release Form for each player. Please hand it in at your first practice. Click on the Link Below to print the form.
Emergency Medical Release Form
- Cheesecake Fundraiser: Our Annual Cheesecake Fundraiser Packages will be distributed at your first practice. Our sale will run from mid-late October through mid-November. Click on the Link below to preview our Fundraiser Items.
- We will be selling:
- Broadway Cafe
- The Trail Home - Decadent Treats
- Gourmet Fruit Pies
- Girls Basketball Rules & Bylaws: Get to know the Rules & the Bylaws.
Girls Basketball Rules & Bylaws
RT Girls Basketball Current Health & Safety Procedures
Player/Coach Rules and Restrictions:
- Social distancing is encouraged for all players (when not actively on the court), coaches, referees and spectators, regardless of vaccination status. All individuals are encouraged are currently required to wear masks when on school property and indoors.
- Persons who have tested positive for Covid-19 or have come in contact with someone who has tested positive within the last 10 days should stay home.
- Players and Coaches must wear a mask when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- There will be no sharing of drinks or food.
- Please arrive NO MORE THAN 10 minutes before your practice/game/clinic time and do not enter the buildings any earlier to allow the team(s) prior to exit.
- When your practice/game/clinic is over, players MUST immediately collect their belongings, exit the court area and proceed immediately to the main parking lot to make room for the next practice/game/clinic group.
Spectator Rules and Restrictions:
- Spectators must remain in the bleacher area social distancing as much as possible
- Parents must not enter the court at any time. Players must be PROMPTLY picked up after practices/games/clinics. NO EXECPTATIONS.
- This plan may change as school rules change, state mandates change or RT Recreation guidelines change.
- We will follow all RT BOE rules for masking, social distancing and indoor capacity limitations which may include but may not be limited to 1 or less spectators per player, no parents or siblings at practices and time gaps between practices and games to allow gyms to clear before the next group enters
By participating in the RT Girls Basketball Program, you are agreeing to abide by these Rules/Restrictions (and any others enacted by the program organizers) and understand they are not negotiable.