Open GymsUpdatedMonday September 19, 2022 byThe Registrar.
What is OPEN GYM?
All Players Must be registered in order to attend Open Gyms. You do not have to register for Travel in order to attend. You just have to register for either Rec or Travel to attend. Register today!
Click Here to Register a Player.
Open Gym Dates/Times
Open Gyms will be 2 days per week and will occur as follows:
Open Gym Location
Copeland Middle School - Stage Gym
Travel Tryouts will occur the first week in October (dates TBD)
We will have 4 Travel Teams this season: 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Teams. All are welcome to tryout for ALL 4 grade teams. If interested, come to Open Gym and find out what Travel is all about. There will be coaches there running drills who can answer questions.
Recreation Draft Dates will occur on any of the following dates: 10/11, 10/14, 10/18, 10/21 or 10/25. Once permits are received, actual dates will be communicated for your particular grade.
If you missed the registration email sent earlier, the body of the email is attached below:
Click Here to Register a Player.
Click Here to Register a Coach.
The Online system will be used to register:
Rockaway Township & Rockaway Boro Girls in:
Rockaway Township, Rockaway Boro, Wharton & Denville Girls in:
Quick Notes on our Program:
- Our season will run from mid-October through early March (ending with playoffs). Team Drafts will be held in late October as gyms become available
- Our Travel (Competitive) program consists of 4 teams:
- 5th Grade Girls Travel Team
- 6th Grade Girls Travel Team
- 7th Grade Girls Travel Team
- 8th Grade Girls Travel Team(If you are interested in trying out for one of our Travel Teams, please register for that team so that you can be notified of all important dates. If you are not selected for a Travel team, your registration will automatically be moved to the In-House program. Please note that all remaining notes here pertain to In-House (Recreation Basketball). Please go to our website for more details on Travel basketball.)
- Our In-House (Recreation) program is grouped into 3 divisions:
- Rookie Division - 3rd & 4th Grade Girls
- Junior Division - 5th & 6th Grade Girls
- Senior Division - 7th & 8th Grade Girls
- The first games will be in December this year, with preseason practices leading up to that.
- There is typically 1 practice and 1 game each week. Most (but not all) games are on Saturdays, with the younger players playing in the early hours. There are also games during the week, with younger players playing at 6:30pm and the older players playing at 7:45pm. Practices run 1 to 1 1/2 hours and games run 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- There are no set days for practices, they will fluctuate (6 days per week) throughout the season based on gym availability.
- The younger players practice and play at Birchwood School and Thomas Jefferson (in the Boro). The older girls practice and play at Copeland and Birchwood.
- Our program utilizes a mandatory Player Draft; players are not assigned to teams based on schools or placed with friends.
- Siblings in the same division will automatically be placed on the same team
- High School Division:
- The High School division is made up of girls from 9th through 12th grades, from both Morris Hills and Morris Knolls.
- The High School division recognizes time is tight with the additional responsibilities that going to high school entails. The High School division does not start until AFTER Thanksgiving. With only one or two practices
- High School games start in late December/early January.
- High School games are mostly played Monday through Friday at 9:00pm.
- Each team plays ~1 game per week, usually no more. Again, this division is created to allow girls to continue playing basketball while assuring the time commitment is not overburdening.